What is Obesity ?
- What is Obesity? – In simple terms, Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may harm one’s health.
- Obesity is not a superficial problem but instead a chronic medical condition which is a cause of several serious illnesses including – diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular diseases (heart ailments), high cholesterol, stroke (cerebrovascular accident), gallstones, arthritis, sleep apnea, joint disorders and even many types of cancers.
- Obesity is very difficult to heal and has a high recurrence rate. Most who succeed in losing weight, regain it within five years.
- BMI (Body mass index) is the best judge of one’s obesity. The body mass index (BMI) equals a person’s weight in kilograms (kg) divided by his height in meters (m) squared.
BMI = Weight (Kg) / (Height in metres)*(Height in metres)
|Underweight||BMI less than or equal to 18.5|
|Normal weight||BMI ranges between 18.5–24.9|
|Overweight||BMI ranges between 25–29.9|
|Obese||BMI of 30 or greater|
Causes of Obesity
General causes of obesity may include :
- Lack of Physical activities
- Increased intake of energy-dense foods that are high in fat, carbohydrates, etc.
- Excess intake of unhealthy food, fast food, etc
- Overeating and Irregular food habits
- Psychological factors
- Intake of medications associated with weight gain
- Day – time sleeping
Relevant Statistics :
- According to WHO, worldwide obesity is on the rise and has tripled since 1975
- In the year 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults were overweight, out of which 650 million were obese.
- It has been observed that overweight people are more prone to be affected by diseases as compared to people who are underweight.
- Obesity has caught up with children as well. Around 38 million children (under the age of 5) were either overweight or obese in the year 2019.
- USA has the highest obesity statistics of the 22 industrialized nations and nearly one-third of the Americans above 20 years of age are obese. While nearly two-thirds of the Americans above the age of twenty are overweight.
- According to the National institute of health, $75-$125 billion is spent on indirect and direct costs due to diseases stemming from obesity.
- Eric Schlosser in his book “Fast Food Nation” mentions that the health care costs every year in the United States stemming from obesity approximates $240 billion.
Preventive measures :
- Embracing an active lifestyle with daily exercise. Practicing meditation to cope with stress and fatigue.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Avoid sedentary lifestyle
- Avoid sleeping excessively
- Avoid watching TV while having your meals
- Avoid salty food or excessive salt in your meals
- Intake of low fat or low calorie food items
- Intake of more proteins to stay longer without having food
- Intake of steamed/boiled vegetables rather than fried ones.
- Intake of skimmed milk instead of whole milk
- Including cabbage in your daily meal will help stop the conversion of sugars to fat.
- Drink more warm water
- Including lemon in diet and drinks
- Intake of healthy food items such as – Oatmeal , Walnuts, salads, Karela (bitter gourd), drumstick (shigru), Barley, wheat, green gram (Moong dal), honey, Amla (Indian Gooseberry), pomegranate (Anar), skimmed buttermilk, etc
One should lose weight progressively. Losing weight in the range of 4-5 Kgs in 2 months and then retaining it at the same pace under the guidance of a consulting doctor is advisable.
Natural Ayurvedic Remedies :
Single Drugs :
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Vidanga (Embelia ribes), Musta (Cyperus rotundus), Sunthi (dry ginger), Amla (Phyllanthus emblica), Vaca (Acorus Calamus / Sweet Flag), Daruharidra (Berberis aristata), Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), etc
Compound Drugs :
- Trikatu : a blend of equal parts of Pippali or long pepper (Piper Longum L), black pepper (Piper nigrum L) and dry ginger or saunthi (rhizomes of Zingiber officinalis)
- Navaka Guggulu : Its ingredients include – Trikatu (mentioned above) ,Triphala (Contains haritaki, vibhitaki, amalaki), chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica), nagarmotha (Cyperus rotundus), Vidanga (Embelia ribes), Guggulu (Commiphora mukul)
- Triphala Guggulu : Its ingredients include – Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Pippali (Long pepper), Guggulu (Commiphora mukul)
- Vidangadi churna : Its ingredients include – Vidanga (Embelia ribes), Saindhava (rock salt), yavakshara (hordeum vulgare), kampillaka (mallotus philippines), haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Takrarishta : This is a poly herbal preparation made from cow milk. It contains cow buttermilk, Amla (Emblica officinalis), Ajwain (carum copticum), black pepper, sea salt, etc
- Other Ayurvedic compound drugs – Navayasa lauha, Arogya Vardhini Vati, etc